Rejuvelac is a general term for a fermented liquid used to improve digestion of food. Rejuvelac is prepared using wheat grains, rye, oats, barley and other types of grain, but cabbage can also be used. Best results have been found using wheat, rye, and cabbage.
Rejuvelac can be consumed as a digestive aid and used as a ‘starter’ for other fermented foods such as raw nut and seed sauces and cheeses. Rejuvelac supply needed B vitamins, vitamins E and K, and a variety of enzymes to the body. The live lacto-bacteria assists in protecting the body from harmful microorganisms, viruses, bad bacteria, yeast, and parasites that thrive in an unhealthy gut environment and begin the onset of disease.
How it is made?
Rejuvelac is a raw food made by sprouting grain or cabbage and then soaking the sprouted grain or blended cabbage mix in water for about two days at room temperature and then drinking the liquid. A second batch can be made from the same sprouts or cabbage, this time requiring only about one day. A third batch is possible but the flavor may be unpleasant. For step by step process of making rejuvelac, please read: How to make Rejuvelac? The Super Drink
Benefits of Rejuvelac
Some of the health benefits associated with the consumption of Rejuvelac includes:
- They restore a proper balance of good bacteria (probiotics) in the gut and can be effective in aiding recovery from numerous conditions linked with levels of good bacteria including lactose intolerance, asthma, allergies, yeast infections, constipation, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Consuming Rejuvelac increases the number of antibodies that fight infectious diseases, thus boosting the immune system.
- They are rich in enzymes which assist the body in digesting food and properly absorbing the nutrition from the foods we consume.
- Rejuvelac increases the vitamin content and promotes the creation of additional nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids.
- The higher concentration of antioxidants allow some fermented foods remove free radicals in the body.