Wheatgrass is one of the so-called green foods that are valued by health-conscious individuals as great natural source of nutrients. In Juice form it contains 70% chlorophyll, which is often referred to as the blood of plant life. The chlorophyll molecule in wheatgrass is almost identical to the haemoglobin molecule in human blood. The only difference is that the central element in chlorophyll is magnesium and in haemoglobin it is iron.
Due to this inherent similarity the human body can easily transform chlorophyll into haemoglobin increasing the red blood cell count as well as the blood’s capacity to deliver oxygen and other nutrients to the body’s cells (Hagiwara, 1985). Chlorophyll has been shown to build red blood cells quickly, normalize blood pressure by dilating the blood pathways though out the body, destroy poisonous carbon dioxide, release free oxygen and promote higher metabolism and stimulated enzyme systems. On top of all of these benefits, consuming chlorophyll from wheatgrass is a highly effective way to alkalize the blood and energize the body.
Great protein source
When it comes to supplying protein, wheatgrass juice provides a large array of the essential amino acids. amino acids are the building blocks of protein. They are absolutely essential to our growth, cell regeneration, proper digestion and assimilation of foods, strong immunity against disease, rapid healing of cuts and wounds, proper liver function and regulation of our level of mental awareness. Wheatgrass juice is a complete protein and contains, amongst others, the following amino acids: arginine, serine, absenisic, lysine, aspartic acid, glycine, alanine, methionine, leucine, tryptophane, phenylalanine, and valine.
Being a natural cleanser as well as protecting against illness
Every day our bodies accumulate internal waste and harmful toxins from eating processed and chemically grown food, breathing polluted air and drinking impure water. If we don’t rid the body of toxins they can cause long term damage and disease.
The high levels of enzymes and amino acids act like natural detergents that will drain the lymph system, (such as saponin which is high in wheatgrass) which carries away many toxins from body cells. When an imbalance exists, sore tendons and joints, degenerative disease, etc. there is a natural build-up of mucous in the lymph in that area. Wheatgrass juice will break down the mucous and allow it to drain. It detoxifies the liver, eliminate toxic heavy metals from the blood stream, rid the body of waste matter and help to strengthen the body’s immune system. Wheatgrass is a powerful cleanser and may start an immediate reaction with toxins and mucus in the stomach and thus may cause nausea. Chlorophyll will bring toxins stored away in cells or fatty tissues into the bloodstream.
Wheatgrass juices are an extremely effective way of boosting the body’s immune system to fight against and recover from illnesses and ailments. Wheatgrass is a great source of beta carotene, contains most of the B vitamins and vitamins C, E, H and K, and also contains over 90 different minerals and 19 amino acids. It also contains several active enzymes which play a major role in breaking down fats, undertaking biological functions and assist hugely in weight loss. Of the 90 minerals found, many of these are very alkalizing and include calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and iron.
The Health Benefits of Wheatgrass
- Chlorophyll in Wheat grass juice helps your body to build red blood cells which carry oxygen to every cell. By increasing the oxygenation the body you can help offset smog and carbon monoxide and increase your endurance during physical exercise.
- Aids in the prevention of and fight against infections and improves the body’s ability to heal wounds.
- Helps prevent tooth decay.
- Helps with skin problems such as eczema or psoriasis.
- Helps removes heavy metals from the body.
- Absorbs 92 out of the known 102 minerals from the soil.
- Chlorophyll in wheatgrass helps improve blood sugar disorders.
- Helps eliminate body odors.
- The high magnesium content in chlorophyll builds enzymes that restore the sex hormones.
- Chlorophyll in wheatgrass helps purify the liver.
- Arrests the growth of unfriendly bacteria.
- Is an energizer for body and mind.
- Great for constipation and keeping the bowels open.
- Is non-allergenic (unlike wheat, wheatgrass doesn’t contain gluten)
- Aids in the prevention and fight against cancer.
- It contains the essential enzymes: Protease (assists in protein digestion), Cytochrome Oxidase (a powerful anti oxidant), Amylase (facilitates digestion), Lipase (a fat splitting enzyme), Transhydrogenase (strengthens the heart muscle) & Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) (found in all body cells and is known for its ability to lessen the effect of radiation and slow cellular aging)
- Wheatgrass has more vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots.
Amount of wheatgrass to drink
When drinking wheatgrass for the very first time, many people make the mistake of consuming too much juice. It must be noted that the composition of wheatgrass juice differs significantly from other juices and it has a much more intense detoxing action than other fruit and vegetable juices.
People new to taking wheatgrass should start by consuming 1oz of juice a day, then after a week build this up to 2oz a day (two 1 oz servings taken at different times of the day).
Drinking wheatgrass should be on an empty stomach as otherwise you may experience nausea. After you have consumed the wheatgrass juice you should let it be digested for at least half an hour before eating.
If you drink too much wheatgrass juice then you will experience nausea due to the detoxing effects of the juice.
Wheatgrass juice is a great cleansing agent for the intestinal tract but if you drink and acts as a natural laxative but if you consume too much then you will need to visit the toilet more often that desired.
For most people 1-2 oz a day is the amount taken if taking wheatgrass juice for maintaining good health. People taking wheatgrass for the treatment of disease often take 4-8 oz of juice per day but some of this will not be drunk, it will be taken as a wheatgrass enema or as a wheatgrass implant.
Growing Your Own Wheatgrass
Everybody can grow and juice wheatgrass. It is great fun, not time consuming, and not expensive All you need are:
- Some space
- Wheat grains
- Sprouting trays
- A pair of scissors
- A juicer or blender